By Dr. Laura Headley, Nutritional Scientist, Advanced Food Ingredients, Evonik Health Care
We share your passion about pushing the boundaries of what is possible in nutraceuticals. That’s why we’ve been developing innovative ways of harnessing nature for decades. Here we are going to share with you a few of Evonik Health Care’s proprietary innovations, illustrated by just one product.
These innovations illustrate the approach we take to all our products – taking the science, applying technology and creating amazing ingredients. We hope these will give you a flavor of why Evonik Health Care can be a great partner to your business.
Product quality: High-load anthocyanin health ingredients
One of the most potent sources of anthocyanins is from the skin and flesh of certain berries. They have a wide range of established health benefits, supported by strong scientific evidence.
But, there are some challenges for people who want an anthocyanin boost. For consumers, they have a choice: find a way to eat two handfuls of blueberries every day, or take a supplement with the equivalent nutritional value.
While most people think of blueberries as a superfood, it’s actually wild bilberries and blackcurrants that are some of the richest sources of anthocyanins. However, wild bilberries are difficult to harvest, must be picked by hand, and are subject to seasonal variations. Furthermore, they need cold, harsh conditions while growing in order to have the maximum potency.
Fresh bilberries and blackcurrants are not typically widely available. Eating enough berries every day to confer the same health benefit as a supplement is expensive and a chore to eat.
For supplement providers, the challenge is packing in as much naturally-sourced anthocyanin into a formulation that will be exciting, versatile, and marketable.
Evonik Health Care has developed a proprietary process to create an anthocyanin-rich powder health ingredient from wild bilberries and blackcurrants. Called Healthberry®, this 100% natural, high-load berry extract is a highly attractive health ingredient for use across a wide range of functional foods and beverages.
Manufacturing expertise: MEDOX® from field to pharmacy
MEDOX® is produced based on wild, hand-picked bilberries from Scandinavia and blackcurrants from New Zealand. But how did it get from field to pharmacy?
Technology is our friend… Each capsule of MEDOX® is standardized to 80mg of anthocyanins. The unique combination of ingredients, process and science are key to success.
Scientific data: MEDOX® from science to final dosage form
Rigorous research has been conducted by independent universities and academic research groups, with no influence from Evonik Health Care, and published in respected peer-reviewed scientific journals. The data show health benefits for the heart, brain, and liver as well as in type 2 diabetes. Here are some highlights:
- MEDOX® has a potent and consistent effect on cholesterol levels1–5
- MEDOX® improves blood flow2
- MEDOX® improves how platelets behave in overweight, obese or sedentary population groups6,7
- MEDOX® improves the anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory capacity in people who have an abnormal amount of lipids in the blood (dyslipidemia)8
- The anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory effects are dose-dependent, with higher doses providing greater benefits than lower doses (40mg/day, 80mg/day and 320mg/day were studied)8
Anthocyanin formulation opportunities: the only limit is your imagination
Healthberry® is an incredibly versatile and stable ingredient. While it has a shelf-life of more than four years, there’s no chance of it staying on a shelf that long. Particularly when you see what can be done with it. The options are literally mouth-watering.
This is just one example of how Evonik Health Care applies its decades of scientific and health care experience to the humble berry. Just imagine what we could do for your products.
Learn more about hot topics and trends in nutraceuticals by registering for our webinar series here.
1. Qin Y, et al. Anthocyanin supplementation improves serum LDL- and HDL-cholesterol concentrations associated with the inhibition of cholesteryl ester transfer protein in dyslipidemic subjects. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009;90:485–92.
2. Zhu Y, et al. Purified anthocyanin supplementation improves endothelial function via NO-cGMP activation in hypercholesterolemic individuals. Clin Chem. 2011;57(11):1524–33.
3. Zhu Y, et al. Anti-inflammatory effect of purified dietary anthocyanin in adults with hypercholesterolemia: a randomized controlled trial. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2013;23(9):843–9.
4. Zhu Y, et al. Anthocyanin supplementation improves HDL-associated paraoxonase 1 activity and enhances cholesterol efflux capacity in subjects with hypercholesterolemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014;99(2):561–9.
5. Li D, et al. Purified anthocyanin supplementation reduces dyslipidemia, enhances antioxidant capacity, and prevents insulin resistance in diabetic patients. J Nutr. 2015;145(4):742–8.
6. Thompson K, et al. The effect of anthocyanin supplementation in modulating platelet function in sedentary population: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled,cross-over trial. Br J Nutr. 2017;118:368–74.
7. Thompson K, et al. Anthocyanin supplementation in alleviating thrombogenesis in overweight and obese population: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Funct Foods. 2017;32:131–8.
8. Zhang H, et al. Anthocyanin supplementation improves anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory capacity in a dose-response manner in subjects with dyslipidemia. Redox Biol. 2020;32:101474.